SPECIAL PROGRAM FOR EMPLOYMENT OF STUDENTS
WHAT IS SPES?
The Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) is mandated under Republic Act No. 9547 otherwise known as “An Act to Help Poor But Deserving Students to Pursue Their Education by Encouraging their Employment During Summer and/or Christmas Vacations, Through Incentives Granted To Employers, Allowing Them To Pay Only Sixty Per Centum Of Their Salaries Or Wages And The Forty Per Centum Through Education Vouchers To Be Paid By The Government, Prohibiting And Penalizing The Filing Of Fraudulent And Fictitious Claims, And For Other Purposes,” Under this Law, the Secretary of Labor and Employment is designated Program Director of the SPES.
The objective of the SPES is to develop the intellectual capacities of children of poor families and harness their potentials for the country’s well-being. Specifically, the Program aims to help poor but deserving students pursue their education by providing income or augment their income through encouraging their employment during summer and/or Christmas vacations.
The SPES is open to all qualified high school, college or vocational students or drop-outs and interested employers.Students and Drop-outs
- 15-25 years old
- Enrolled during the present school year/term or during the school year/term immediately preceding the summer vacation
- Drop-out who intend to continue his education
- Parents’ combined net income after tax, including his own, if any, does not exceed P36,000 per annum
- Garnered a passing grade during the school year/term referred above or in case of drop-out, the last year/term attended
- His/her parents has been displaced or about to be displaced due to business closure or work stoppage provided he/she meets a, b and d above
- 1.1. Any person or entity who has employed at least 50 workers at any given time during the past 12 months.
1. Duly filled Registration Form 01 ( 3 copies) with ID pictures attached and attested by the school principal or registrar. 2. Any of the following to attest his/her age:
- Birth/Baptismal Certificate
- Form 138 where age is specified
- Joint Affidavit of two disinterested parties pertaining to the age of student
- Form 138 ( High School Report Card)
- Certification by School Registrar that the student has a passing school grade during the previous semester/ school year
- Certified true copy of the student’s class card where his/her passing could be determined
WHERE TO APPLY?
- Students/ applicants may apply at any of the following: DOLE Regional/ District/ Provincial Office, Public Employment Service Offices (PESOs), or other deputized entities.
- Employers may signify their intention to hire students by signing a Pledge of Commitment and submitting it to the nearest (PESOs/DOLE Regional Offices)